Are you interested in getting your troop involved in computer programming, but lack the facilities or the wherewithal to teach it comfortably. Have no worries, I’ve got a fun activity you can do with your troop that can introduce your girls to one of the most basic and fundamental problems in Computer Science – sorting algorithms.
In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm is a step-by-step procedure. The “procedure” your girls come up with to solve the problem should not be dependent on the input, e.g. the sorting procedure should work for any list of numbers
The great thing is you’ll be introducing your girls to the world of computer programming without the need of involving computers.
· Cardboard or Chart Paper
· 1 Large Marker
· 8- Objects where a number can be hidden from view
General Game Rules:
1. Choose 8 objects to represent the list to be sorted. You may pick anything to represent your list of numbers. Some ideas for the list are:
- Large playing plastic blocks
- Large Cardboard cones
2. Pick one person to be the “controller”.
3. Random numbers should be written, or pasted, on the objects in such a way that...
[ Read Full Article ]